Single Ply Roofing Membranes
What Is Single Ply Roofing?
Single Ply roofing membranes have been used for covering flat roofs for more than 30 years in the UK and are the choice of many of the country’s leading architects, be it new build or refurbishment.
Single ply membrane is usually composed of a synthetic polymer. As well as being very strong and flexible it also provides continuous waterproofing and insulation.
Because of its flexibility a single ply membrane can be applied to any shape of roof giving quick construction, easy maintenance and repair.
Benefits Of Single Ply Roofing
Single-ply systems have many benefits over more traditional materials, such as:
- cold applied (no flame)
- excellent weather resistance proven in all climates
- expected lifetime of over 30 years
- no major maintenance or repair required during life
- extensive, insurance backed warranty
- up to 15 times greater vapour permeability
- greatly reduce or eliminate condensation
- materials maintain their outward appearance
- strength, dimensional stability and UV resistance
- wide range of colours
- no interior building access required
What Is Felt Roofing?
Felt is a tough long lasting bitumen coated membrane which has been tried and tested for over 70 years. It is the most commonly used waterproofing system in new builds and refurbishments to date. Felt is applied using a gas torch, bitumen can or bonded using an adhesive and the laps hot air welded.
Benefits Of Using A Felt Roof
- Felt roofing is a common choice and has been used for many years; it is a proven choice.
- Large or small, felt roofing can be applied to any size roof.
- The materials are durable and able to cope with water and wind.
- Whether the surface is flat, pitched or curved, felt roofing can be applied.
- Costs can be lower compared with some other roofing systems.
What Is PMMA Liquid Resin?
PMMA stands for Poly(methyl methacrylate) it is a fast curing acrylic resin. The Wecryl waterproofing system we use by Westwood is a seamless, crack-bridging and joint-bridging waterproofing system that is able to withstand mechanical stresses. It contains a highly flexible and fleece-reinforced waterproofing layer as well as abrasion-resistant system layers for vehicle and foot traffic. The waterproofing system’s liquid application and high bonding strength on almost any substrate also allow breakthroughs and upstands to be integrated securely and seamlessly. These properties make the system a cost-effective solution for car parks and balconies, especially for refurbishment projects.
Benefits Of PMMA Liquid Resin
• Seamless waterproofing layer with fleece reinforcement.
• Fully bonded to the substrate, therefore no flow paths for water.
• Can be applied to almost any substrate.
• Liquid application ensures seamless incorporation and secure waterproofing of the most complex upstands.
• Unlimited design options (colour finish, tiled look, road markings etc).
• Easy and fast application.
• Can also be applied at sub-zero temperatures.
What Are Green Roofs?
A green roof is a roof of a building that is partially or completely covered with vegetation and a growing medium, planted over a waterproofing membrane.
Benefits of Green Roof
Will increase the life expectancy of the waterproofing membrane due to decreased exposure and temperature fluctuations.
Noise reduction (acts as an insular)
Here at Johnsons Roofing, we are able to provide our customers with not only a full guarantee backed waterproofing system but a brand new balcony or roof terrace.
Our PMMA liquid resins provide a stunning finish for any balcony, roof terrace, walkway, kitchen, spa or even swimming pools.
We ensure a sleek aesthetic, whether it be a resin tile effect or a more industrial quartz sand finish available in any colour you desire.
A completely sealed finish
No mould or rotting like other timber decking finishes
Easy to clean
Extremely hard wearing
Guaranteed to last for in excess of 25 years
In addition to the above we can supply and fit extensive ranges of protective hand rails wether they be glass or timber.
Try Our Interactive Slider – drag the divider below to see the complete ‘Before & After’!
What Is EPDM?
EPDM is an extremely durable synthetic rubber roofing membrane (ethylene propylene diene terpolymer) widely used in low-slope buildings in the United States and worldwide.
Benefits Of EPDM
20 Year guarantee with a life expectancy in excess of 50 years. Unlike a lot of newer materials EPDM has been installed in America for over 40 years and is now the most used single ply membrane in the world
Does not become brittle with age
The team are all talented, reliable and fully qualified to NVQ level in felt roofing.
all hold industrial qualifications in single ply and reinforced liquids all of which are subtle with 25 year under-written guarantees.